$10 George V (NGC graded)
The coins of this hoard were minted by the Royal Canadian Mint and were stored for over 75 years at the Bank of Canada, where they were part of the Government of Canada’s Exchange Fund Account, before being made available to collectors.
The Royal Canadian Mint’s Ottawa facility opened in January 1908, with a mandate that included converting Canada’s growing gold resources into dollar-denominated coins for circulation. From 1912 to 194 they produced $5 and $10 coins of 90% pure Canadian gold. The bulk of these coins were kept out of circulation at the beginning of the First World War as the government accumulated gold reserves to finance the war effort.
The obverse of these first Canadian gold coins carries the image of King George V, while the reverse features the inscription ‘Canada’ above a shield with the arms of the Dominion of Canada, a wreath of maple leaves, the year of issue, and the face value.
Rosland is able to supply limited quantities of paired 1913 and 1914 $10 coins, assessed, graded and encapsulated by leading coin grading professionals NGC.
1913 $10 Gold Bank of Canada Hoard – NGC MS63
These Coins Never Reached the Hands of Canadians and were locked away for more than 75 years
The Bank of Canada hoard is the most notable treasure hoard and precious cache of gold coins discovered in recent years
The gold coins in this hoard are phenomenal rarities and hold the unique distinction of being Canada’s first-ever gold coins. Their history and provenance demands the attention of all serious gold coin collectors.
Ian E. Bennett, President and CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint said, “We are delighted that these pieces of our history are back in the spotlight after nearly a century long absence, the Mint is delighted to share these important artefacts with collectors worldwide”.
Canada did not produce any gold coins until 1912, the first gold coins were a $5 and $10 coin minted from a quarter ounce and half ounce of gold. The design bears the image of King George V on the obverse and a shield bearing the Arms of the Dominion of Canada on the reverse. Almost all of the gold used to manufacture them came from the nearby Klondike River Valley in the Yukon Territory, the site of one of the largest and most frenzied gold rushes in history.
In 1914, just two years after the coins were introduced, the First World War began. The short-lived, experimental Canadian gold coin program was closed in 1915 in favor of producing lifeless gold bars, leaving behind only a small supply of gold coins for future generations of collectors to get their hands on!
As Canada engaged in the war sending its troops to fight with the Allies on the battlefields of Europe, the government of Canada took a tight hold of its gold reserves. Most of the gold coins produced for circulation would never reach the hands of Canadians. Instead, they were entrusted to the secure vaults of Canadian banks, the Department of Finance and eventually, the Bank of Canada; where the coins remained undisturbed in cloth bags for more than 75 years prior to the discovery and release of this important and exceptional hoard. De facto Coat of Arms adopted in 1868 The coins are steeped in history. The design on the reverse of the coins depicts the De facto Coat of Arms adopted in 1868; this was the first symbol of Canada to appear on a coin. Canada’s official Coat of Arms decreed by King George was not adopted until much later in 1921.
The size and color reproduction of the coins shown do not correspond to the actual coins.